Tuesday, June 27, 2017

3 Favorite coffee shops in Minneapolis




For those of you who may know me, weather it be in passing or on a deeper level, you know that I am a coffee fanatic, to say the least. Now that it is summer, I have been making more of an effort to take in the sights and beautiful roasted coffee smells my city has to offer. And let me tell you, Minneapolis does not disappoint when it comes to its coffee shops. Before I get into what my favorite coffee shops in the city are, let me tell you what I first look for in the places in the places where I spend 90% of my time.

The first is quite obvious. I need the coffee to be an experience. During the school year, I am so used to grabbing a quick pick-me-up from Starbucks and chugging it down so I don’t fall asleep, I forget to actually enjoy the coffee. Every time I go to these places, I make sure to get something different on the menu each time, just so I can expand my coffee bean horizon.
The second thing would have to be the overall aesthetics of the place. I can spend anywhere from an hour to 4 or 5 in the same coffee shop, depending on what it is I’m doing. I really just love to be in places that inspire me but also, when I need a second to look up from gazing at my laptop all day, is easy on the eyes. Whether it is a simple, minimalistic, all white ensemble, or a more earthy, woody vibe, the overall environment makes me gravitate towards that coffee shop again and again.
Third, and this may seem funny, but the music choice. Reason why I say it may seem funny is because people always ask, “Why does music choice matter if you’re going to be plugging in your headphones and listening to your own music?” Well, the best way I can answer that is I am not sure. There is something about taking a break from your music and laptop and simply just vibing to whatever they have playing in the background. It’s almost like a breather. And since I am a huge jazz fan, any place that is playing a classic Frank Sinatra song or anything Elle Fitzgerald is a complete win in my book.
And finally, the baristas! This one is a given. Friendly baristas always tie the place together. But in all respective honesty, I have a totally different level of respect for them. It is not easy to smile an entire shift and still maintain functioning during the hustle and bustle of it all. And those who start little conversations with you while your waiting for your order? Actual angels. So please, remember to always be nice to your fellow barista. It really is not an easy job. And if it’s possible, tip them. Make their day as much as they made yours by brewing together your favorite cuppa.
Okay, so now you know what I look for, how about we get into what my personal favorite coffee shops here in Minneapple are, shall we?
Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

To jump start it all, we have my all time favorite place to get for both coffee and great vibes. Urban Bean located in Uptown has completely and utterly captured my heart. From their carefully crafted vanilla latte’s to their rich but yet sweet Furley’s, Urban Bean takes the cake. Though both locations are great, I prefer the all white and wood look of the one Uptown. Plus, some of the barista’s their have become like family. Plus, they are open till 11 which is phenomenal because it’s just enough time to get home before the clock strikes midnight.
Go-to Drink: Iced Furley with a splash of sweet-cream.
IMG_0257.JPG





Next up, we have Spyhouse Coffee. I believe the first time I discovered this place was freshmen year and ever since, it has been home to many of my best memories. When studying for my finals last fall, I spent countless hours hunched over my laptop stressing over a Sociology paper. The sweetest barista bought me a Vegan Date Maple Pecan Scone, and I have been having it every time I go. Their coffee is incredible, lots of space, and has the best treats. And oh my god, it has the cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen. And yes, that’s important because if I’m going to be withering away in the same place for hours at a time, clean bathrooms are a must. Yes? So, what’s not to love? The Spygirl latte is my staple here.  It’s just a delicious blend of happiness served with latte art to make your Instagram feed even more beautiful. Last summer they also had a jasmine tea lemonade that was so bomb and perfectly refreshing for summer! So here’s to hoping it comes back
Go-to Drink and Noms: Spygirl Latte & Vegan Date Maple Pecan Scone
IMG_0264.JPG

Last but definitely not least, Penny’s. If you’re from the Twin Cities area and are an avid user of Instagram, you have probably heard of this place. Penny’s has one of the most beautifully designed spaces I’ve ever seen. All the lights, tall ceilings, and absolutely breathtaking marble walls boarded with wooden surfaces and accents ties into the whole chic but inviting aura it has. Honestly, you don’t notice it’s in the lobby of a large office building. And in the warmer months, the outdoor area is prime. Oh, and a huge bonus? Their music choice is divine. They are continuously expanding their menu, and I have literally had everything. No joke.
Go-to Drink & Noms: Iced Caramel Macchiato with Almond date milk & French toast.
Well, that’s it for this post. Hope you enjoyed reading it & I really do hope you all to take the time and visit these places if you have never been. Hope you’re all well & staying cool in this heat.
As always, until next time!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished